Saturday, April 12, 2008

Catch Damien's wind


I admit, he's not my cup of tea, but these "Idols" need all the support they can get. As I wrote a couple of days ago, Damien Leith (or Tic Tac teeth as one of my friends likes to call him) is releasing a generous 18-track covers album called "Catch The Wind" which showcases "the great songwriters of the 60s and 70s". According to Damien,
[the songs] have always been a major influence on my own original material. In many ways the songs of that generation are as relevant today as they were back then. I've chosen songs that either mean a great deal to me on a personal level or those that I'd just love people to hear."


Leithy has shapped up to be the second most successful Idol winner (behind first series winner, Guy Sebastian). His "Winner's Journey" cd/dvd was an enormous success during late 06/early 07, spending 5 weeks at #1 with an accreditation of 4x platinum. His "Idol" winner's single "Night Of My Life" was also a big hit, spending 5 weeks at #1 with Platinum sales and also became a Top 10 hit in his home-country Ireland. In 2007, he formally began his solo career with the ballad "22 Steps", a dreadfully dull choice which generated little interest, peaking at #11. This however did not discourage sales for his debut studio album "Where We Land" which became his second #1 album and accredited Platinum status. Oddly, no further singles were released from the album (planned second single "All I Want Is You" remained a promo-single only). Since then, he's released a novel and hosted the medical reality show "Saving Kids".

"All I Want Is You" live on "Australian Idol":


Will he score his 3rd #1 album? "Catch The Wind: Songs Of A Generation" is out April 26.

Track listing:
1. Catch the Wind (Donovan)
2. Annie's Song (John Denver)
3. Wild World (Cat Stevens)
4. If (David Gates)
5. The Times They Are a Changing (Bob Dylan)
6. Father & Son (Cat Stevens)
7. Starry Starry Night (Vincent) (Don McLean)
8. Everybody's Talking (Harry Nilsson)
9. Universal Soldier (Buffy Saint Marie)
10. Guitar Man (David Gates)
11. Baby I Love Your Way (Peter Frampton)
12. Only Love Can Break Your Heart (Neil Young)
13. Longer (Dan Fogelberg)
14. Blowing in the Wind (Bob Dylan)
15. Old Man (Neil Young)
16. And I Love You So (Don McLean)
17. Sunshine On My Shoulders (John Denver)
18. Time In a Bottle (Jim Croce)

No comments: